Firebox X5 Edge questions

I'm about to install one of these firewalls at my current store, and one at my new (second) retail locations. I will be using terminal server, for the first time - W2K3 computer located at current store, remotely accessed from new store. This will allow the three stations at each store to behave as one POS network (the POS is a full win 32 bit app.). So, I'll need to set up a VPN tunnel...

1. About that VPN tunnel: is it fairly straight-forward to set up? Pitfalls to watch out for?... Or should I seek professional help? ;)

1. Should I pay an additional /month per location for static IP's? (I'm not concerned with the extra if there's even a small benefit.)

2. What is the serial port for? I can't seem to find any info on this in the manual.

Of course, thank you very much for your answers! I suspect as I install these two X5's, more questions will arise. I'll post them in this thread, if that's cool.

Thanks again Tim

Reply to
Tim
Loading thread data ...

The firebox, not sure about the X5, will do IPSec tunnels almost automatically between other Firebox models. It's very easy to setup if you follow their directions - you can download how-to instructions from their web site once you register.

You MUST HAVE A FIXED PUBLIC IP if you want to make life easy and if you want the units to stay connected easily.

On my non-X firewalls, the serial port is used to setup the first installation of the rules, after that you can use the provided interface software to access the units to manage them. I have not used the 5X, so I can't be sure.

I just checked and your unit supports 2 BOVPN's, that means you can add one more office that connects back to the home office - for a total of two remote offices and 1 home office before you have to expand the unit.

formatting link
CDW has them for $292 each.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.