dynamic firewall for linux

hi, someones know if exis a dynamic firewall for linux? i mean, a firewall (or tool) that ask me if an application can come out (or in) from my pc. in other words a firewall that act like zone alarm for windows.

Reply to
User
Loading thread data ...

There are rate limit extensions for netfilter/iptables. Some combine netfilter/iptables with an IDS.

Why would someone want such a crap?

That concept is useless crap and therefore not availiable for Linux.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Thanks, for your answer.

So, is not possible to have a list of applications that can access to the net? For exaxmple, i want that only "firefox" go to internet through the port 80, "myApplication.bin" go to internet through the port 5500, and so on... and ther other all programs that are not listed in the list, can not access to the net. How can i do this?

User

Reply to
User

Yes you can do what you describe using an optional add-in for iptables called "owner". It probably needs adding to the kernel, but once added you can say something like

iptables -A ChainName \\ -p tcp --syn \\ -m owner --owner-cmd ProgramName \\ -j JumpTarget

Chris

--

formatting link
- Firewalling of P2P and other complex protocols using scriptable packet matching rules with Linux, Iptables and ROPE.

Reply to
Wolfman's Brother

Thank You for your answer,

User

Reply to
User

Thank You for your answer,

User

Reply to
User

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.