Cannot get Cerverus ftp server to work

A couple of other things here.

1) Know the security aspects on the XP O/S. You should take note on using the Everyone Group account that you can put on the FTP folder via the XP /S -- NOT -- what's happening with the FTP server setup for user-id's. You can give the Everyone Group account *full access rights* on the FTP folder through the O/S. By using the Everygroup Group account on the folder, it's an account the XP O/S already as established in it's internal setup, which will allow user-id that has been setup or not setup through the O/S to access it, as it doesn't care. It's open to *Everyone*. It's an open check book when NTFS is being used. You can use the Everyone Group account on the folder and remove it and use individual user-id/accounts on the folder when you get the hang of things on O/S setup.

2) Reduce the risk of the NT based O/S that's being exposed to the Internet for whatever reason it's being exposed as much as possible such as service like the FTP server that's being exposed. Otherwise, the machine is just

*hack bait* setting there. And it's more to it than what's in the link below when exposing services on the NT based O/S that the XP O/S must be secured or harden to attack. There are articles out there on the Internet and books on the security aspects as to what can been done.

formatting link

3) If the router can filter inbound packets by IP, then I suggest you set rules for the IP of users you want to access the FTP server on its ports and blocking anyone else, which can also be done by the XP FW or some other kind of host based packet filter or PFW installed on the machine. You should do this to reduce your risk.

4) Close the ports for know and not port forward them until such time you have everything setup and working properly and some type of security has been applied to the XP O/S as much as possible as 're just *hack bait* otherwise, because if the O/S, registry, file system, user accounts and the service itself like IIS or your FTP server is not secure, then nothing on the machine is secure.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold
Loading thread data ...

Yes thats indeed seems to be the problem but i never tried such thing in the past so i dont know "how" to inform WinXP about the user account that i ahv created that need specific access to the ftp folder.

Thanks for the detailed help.

Reply to
Νίκος

You're wonder friend is who?

formatting link
?hl=en&q=set+file+and+folder+permission+windows+XP&spell=1 Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

thanks ;-)

Reply to
Νίκος

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.