Best way to go?

The college where I work is (finally) allowing me to install an enterprise firewall this summer, so I'm in need of opinions as to what people here think are the best solutions more than anything else.

I am looking to have no more than 1000 computers managed, with three zones (students, staff/faculty and DMZ). I need to control P2P, and I would *like* to have a decent IDS system.

So is a hardware appliance better than a software solution? I'm no Linux person at all (we're an all-Windows environment), but anything can be learned, so I don't want to rule out a software solution if it is a better fit. Also, solution cost has been and always will be a determining factor for me.

I realize everyone is likely to have their own favorite solution, but I really do need to see what is being used in the real world.

TIA everyone!

Rick

Rick Bruner, Director Technology Support Services Huntingdon College - Montgomery AL Phone: 334-833-4540

Reply to
Rick Bruner
Loading thread data ...

Maybe, the link will help you. And whatever you get make sure it's ICSA certified.

formatting link
A software running on a host is only secure as you can make the host, including Linux.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

KWF...

formatting link

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Did you ever read the ICSA evaluation report they're so proud of? Better have a puke bag ready.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

The ICSA evaluation report that includes the following?

That one?

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

er

Mind you about the part "Criteria Violations and Resolutions"

| =B7 The product failed to log every ICMP message type.

Sorry, but that's simply lousy. Wipfw is 50KB in size and gets this right. One can only get this wrong by f****ng it up intentionally.

| =B7 The product was susceptible to a variety of trivial | Denial-of-Service attacks.

D'oh. In detail, it was SYN, UDP and ICMP floods as seen in the ealier report (use Google Cache). Loser quality at best, makes a secure system vulnerable in first place.

| =B7 The product incorrectly terminated TCP connections when sent | spoofed/invalid RST packets.

Even too stupid for TCP connection tracking.

Actually, one can see this evaluation that way:

- Evaluation finds that the product sucks.

- Vendor fixes the most obvious holes.

- Evaluator certifies that the patches work.

- Result #1: product gets certification

- Result #2: product still sucks

Not minding that ICSA Firewall Baseline Profile is just at the level of determining that a product doesn't suck totally and is sufficient for SOHO needs. I guess a college with ~1000 computers doesn't qualify for such low needs.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

You cannot say that.

Most hardware appliances have the advantage, that you're getting a ready made box: it's comfortable.

To set up Free Software and free firewalling implementations on your own box has the advantage, that you exactly know, what's going on, including being able to read the source code.

I prefer the latter. Your choice.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Duane Arnold

Reply to
Volker Birk

Reply to
B. Nice

Reply to
Jason Edwards

Sure?

For sure not. Even some of the oldest TVs do employ software.

Such software is usually hard to notice because, in comparison to PC-based software, you'll never need to reset because of failure.

Depends. A ROM, even in shape of an EEPROM, is actually hardware-implemented software, as it's a hardware-connected flow control.

Pong was particularly interesting for that because it could be easily implemented with analogous signals without much need for discrete control flow.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

A ROM is no more software than is a diskette or CD.

Software is not the same as electrical circuitry.

Reply to
Leythos

I don't believe that. Many TV devices are older than micro computing.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

If you feel this way about ICSA certification, why did you bring it up?

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

At first, this is not as bad as it means. I would require devices with ISCA or equivalent certification for any serious business, of course only after reading the evaluation.

But the point is that KFW is so proud of its certification and still sucks, whereas the certification proves that is sucks. Just as an argument to dismiss your bad suggestion.

I guess the bigger question is: Cheap KFW which sucks vs. good but expensive ISA 2004 vs. cheap netfilter on a Linux box or alike vs. expensive high-quality PIX? What about proxies and DNS?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Okay, we dissagree. You think it "sucks" (technical term?) and I don't. I'll leave it at that.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Please let me re-write your comments without the obvious bias.

- Evaluation finds product does not meet ICSA cert criteria

- Vendor fixes problems and/or bugs

- Product gets certification.

You know as well as I do that if I searched the ICSA cert DB I could produce a scenario like this for virtually every major enterprise firewall out there. It's just part of the process.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

I can assure you that my oldest working TV does not employ software. Analog(ue) electronics only.

Yes failure doesn't need reset, just replacement of some part which failed due to insulation breakdown or dried up electrolyte or some other age related reason.

Ok so if I asked you to define exactly what software is, what would you say?

I don't know how the human brain works but do you think that there is any distinction between hardware and software in its working? Does the concept of software even apply?

Jason

PS I won't be here again until tomorrow earliest.

Reply to
Jason Edwards

Generally you would want to split this function. Build a good perimeter

defense and build an IDS as a second project.

What you want is a good perimeter defense that meets your requirements.

The best solution would be to hire a security consultant to assist you indefining your specific requirements, writing an RFP and inviting several suppliers in to provide a proofof concept. The POC should demonstrate the ability of the product to meet those requirements. You should be sure that you define what your high availability requirements are and the size of your connectionn to the net. You also need to determine if you will have requirements for NAT and specialized applications.

As far as contenders I would look at

Checkpoint Cisco PIX Netscreen

There may be others but the majority of enterprise solutions use these as the basis. In any case, select a solution that will allow you to i mplement your security policy and administer it easily.

Reply to
rick

Yeah, but the triviality of the flaws and therefore the lack of previous quality assurance is devasting.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.