Applet-Servlet communication through firewalls

Hi,

I am trying to have a setup where an applet communicates with a servlet through firewall using HTTP and that the servlet can push events to the applet (as opposed to the applet constantly polling). I have the following design and would appreciate any feedback on whether it is realistic in the enterprise level.

I have applets running on public internet communicating with servlets that run on servers behind firewalls through HTTP(80).

Servlet | Applet [Internal LAN | [public internet] behind firewall] |

In order to enable the effect of server pushing events to the applet, I plan to make the applet first initiating a HTTP request to the server and then the server hanging on the the HTTP response w/o closing. Whenever the server has events to send to the applet it makes use of this open HTTP response stream.

My main concern is that although most enterprise firewalls allow incoming HTTP connections on port 80, will they allow a persistent HTTP connections that last a long time. The workaround to this could be to have the connection re-established if it is timed out. Any other concerns that you can see?

Really appreciate your feedbacks. Thanks

Reply to
vicho
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.