Insertion Loss of fiber connectors

I am trying to find a reference or similar information on estimating the amount of gap a fiber optic connector would need to generate an insertion loss of approximately 6 dB.

We are having some problems with erratic connectors that appear to not fully mate when plugged in. I am trying to explain to the boss that this is not something we can adjust that we need to replace the connectors...

I am assuming the required gap is very small but my guess is not going to prove it to the boss so I would like to be able to cite a reference.

Regards Larry

Reply to
Larry Mackey
Loading thread data ...

Is this single- or multimode? Fibre type and core diameter?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm nobody's expert, but have been diving into building a system, and as far as I understand it, most modern connectors assume physical contact, ie - no gap at all. Filth is always an issue, as well. Filth is about the first, second and third issue to check, and while checking for filth, you could look for things like fiber endface damage (usually from filth not removed before connecting, causing hard filth to damage the polished faces when they touch) as well.

While air gap variable attenuators are on the market, I think they are generally set by using a power meter to get the desired attenuation, not set to a particular distance for a particular attenuation.

But, here is a possible source of "gap" information.

formatting link

Unfortunately the figure is not there, since the site is one of those that don't actually exist to provide information as much as to host ads. The raw numbers indicate 21.7 dB in 0.065" - if linear (and I have no idea if it is without the figure), that would indicate 18 thousandths for 6db. Or about 5 sheets of standard 20lb copy paper.

Hopefully someone else can get you a better reference, but this is a somewhat slow newsgroup much of the time.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

-------------------------------------

Early connectors like the biconic and SMA, which did not have keyed ferrules and could rotate in mating adapters, always had an air gap between the connectors to prevent them rotating and grinding scratches into the ends of the fibers.

Connectors of today are call ?PC? or ?physical contact? connectors. No air gap

Type of connector and fiber type would be helpful in answering your question but I'll give it a try.

Does the problem exist across all connectors or just one?

If you think it is a mating issue simple use a different jumper and test your theory. Change out the bulkhead. Borrow it from another spot.

You can all so "hold" the mated pair together with pressure and check power and the release the pressure and check again.

I had this problem once or twice. Both were a result of two different jumper manufactures which meant slightly different connectors (SC) front and rear. Pigtails on termination were Corning, Jumpers were from FyberDyne.

The Fiberdyne connector has a slightly raised ferrule while Corning was a flush surface.

If your kimwipe tears when cleaning either connector look for the raised ferrule

Reply to
EyesLight

-------------------------------------

Early connectors like the biconic and SMA, which did not have keyed ferrules and could rotate in mating adapters, always had an air gap between the connectors to prevent them rotating and grinding scratches into the ends of the fibers.

Connectors of today are call ?PC? or ?physical contact? connectors. No air gap

Type of connector and fiber type would be helpful in answering your question but I'll give it a try.

Does the problem exist across all connectors or just one?

If you think it is a mating issue simple use a different jumper and test your theory. Change out the bulkhead. Borrow it from another spot.

You can all so "hold" the mated pair together with pressure and check power and the release the pressure and check again.

I had this problem once or twice. Both were a result of two different jumper manufactures which meant slightly different connectors (SC) front and rear. Pigtails on termination were Corning, Jumpers were from FyberDyne.

The Fiberdyne connector has a slightly raised ferrule while Corning was a flush surface.

If your kimwipe tears when cleaning either connector look for the raised ferrule

Reply to
EyesLight

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.