Bend radius for normal SMF...

I suspect I'm good, from what I can find, but I'm not finding exactly what I'd like to find, so I'm going to ask here and see if anyone still reads the group while I'm at it...

I bought an ADC/Tyco Electronics MST-12MH00-A1500A fiber drop mostly for the cable, from ebay, since I couldn't find any more reasonable cost source for drop fiber. It's (from what I recall when researching before buying it) normal single-mode fibers in a loose tube, with the fiberglass rods on either side that make it drop cable and delightfully robust. Certainly will be harder to kink than normal cable.

It's an ADC/Tyco product, but uses Corning flat drop cable (made in

2012.) All the current Corning flat drop cable documents I can find are for their newer bend-insensitive products, and don't actually admit to a bend radius anyway. The ADC/TE documentation is also not mentioning a bend radius, or much about the cable at all, really.

SFM28e+ claims to be good out to 1625 wrapped on a 60mm (diameter) mandrel (bare fiber)

Commscope flat drop claims to be good with an installed (radius) of 3.2 inches/8.1cm. Not the brand I have, but the same type of cable, with a useful data sheet I can actually find.

I need to either put the cable in a 2" weatherhead with an effective radius of about 3.5 inches/8.5cm, or come up with some cockamamie scheme to give it a larger radius. This would only be installed radius - the weatherhead top pops off for pulling. The cable, tested at an end, physically does this fine. Given the mandrel-radius for the bare fiber test, I have to suspect that this will be fine - it's loose tube cable, the fibers will not be pinched.

Anyone with practical experience? I know it will be less affected at

1310 where most of my stuff runs, but one piece may be used at longer wavelengths, and I'd like to sanity-check before I install it.
Reply to
Ecnerwal
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I remember reading that the standard smf 28 bare fiber has a bend radius of ~16mm and at this bend the fiber has a life of over 10years. Any jacketed fiber must have a bend radius greater than this.

Of course there is also a minimum loss associated with bending but I don't suppose you have to really worry about that.

Hope this helps.

SY

Reply to
Sumeet Yamdagni

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.