What would be a non-transparent bridge?

Bonjour,

I wonder what would be a non-transparent bridge. Perhaps a bridge that tags the received non-tagged frames. Is it an example? have you others?

Thanks, Michelot

Reply to
Michelot
Loading thread data ...

A "Non-transparent bridge" generally means a Source Routing Bridge (SRB), as used with Token Ring networks. These bridges were "visible" (i.e., not transparent); end stations expressly specified the path each frame would take via a list of ring numbers and bridge numbers. SRBs are no longer used today. (There is a complete discussion of Source Routing Bridges in Chapter 6 of "The Switch Book".)

Trivia: A "transparent" object is one which is physically present, but can be treated as if it was not (e.g., a transparent bridge). The opposite is a "virtual" object, which is not physically present, but can be treated as if it was.

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

Sorry, I meant that SRBs are no longer used for new installations. Of course, legacy networks may last for a *long* time; I know of a few places that still used ARCnet.

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Reply to
Rich Seifert

Oh yes they ARE still used today. I know several fortune 50 comnaies that are still heavily using token ring and still use SRB's. Heck, my local hospital still uses 4mbps token over type1 cable and SRB's.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Sheesh. Ya, come to think of it I know of a place that does too. Arcnet over fiber at that.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Metaphysical, mystical, ethereal. Could it be that Rich is waxing toward the philosophical in his middle age..?

NM

Reply to
News Me

I've never danced on one, but in my time I've kicked around a Vitalink or two... What happens when one implements a virtual bridge within a transparent bridge? Or vice versa?

Reply to
News Me

Sure. While perhaps someone else has said the same thing, I made the realization independently, and use the comparison often in my own classes.

Reply to
Rich Seifert

How many geeks can dance on a transparent bridge?

Reply to
Neill Massello

Thanks Rich for the history of the concept "transparent bridge".

The contents of your book is very interesting. I will ask if it is available in my school library, and suggest to buy it if not.

I would like to write that in epigraph, on the first page of a training in network introduction. Could I write your name as the author of this trivia?

Regards, Michelot

Reply to
Michelot

Ethereal is a network analyzer. ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

Two bridging routers configured as half-bridges to form a virtual transparant bridge. Which box does one dance on? Choices, choices...

Reply to
jpd

I actually liked Vitalink TransLAN bridges. It was an interesting concept anyway.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.