Transparent bridge mode

If I use two waps in transparent bridge mode to connect two buildings and at each end I have switches that are 802.1x, vlan and qos capable do the waps need to understand 802.1x, vlan & qos or are they truly transparent as though they were just a cable connecting the two switches?

These are the bridges I am looking at:-

Repeatit SU-2410b/g Outdoor 802.11b/g Bridge Kit

formatting link

Reply to
jas0n
Loading thread data ...

This is a question best directed at the manufacturer to see how their device handles packets. That being said, as long as the packets are not manipulated, the bridges do not need to know any other information other than to send it in one port and out the other.

There is one caveaut to this, though. If you wish to be able to manage the device from the network, or pass any data to/from the device specifically, you must enable the proper protocols.

Hope that was helpful.

Chris

Reply to
NetSteady

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 00:09:52 -0000, jas0n wrote in :

If they are true bridges, anything should work over them.

Reply to
John Navas

Well, appears now a standard wireless link is not going to be enough, approx 30 desktop/laptops are now going to be sited in this seperate building, half of them requiring access to the file servers/domain controller - the other half a guest network for contractors with plain internet access.

So, now looking at an optical wireless bridge using free space optics, something along the lines of laserbit pinto which will give 100Mbps full duplex.

Anyone have experience of this technology?

formatting link
I'll still need to clarify this true transparent bridge as im planning on putting in a 802.1x automatic vlan setup where domain computers drop to one vlan and any others drop onto the guest vlan.

Reply to
jas0n

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 23:53:07 -0000, jas0n wrote in :

Given proper antennas to ensure a fast link speed, Wi-Fi (which can be much faster than a T1 or DS2 connection) should be able to handle 30 computers.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.