Using Ethernet cards to create arbitrary frames?

Hi experts, hackers.

Does anybody know if Ethernet NICs can be misused to create arbitrary frames?

As far as I know, cheap NICs don't create the frame headers by themselves rather it's the job of the SW-drivers.

I would like to do some experiments in basic data communications...

Thanks for help!

Herbert

Reply to
Herbert Haas
Loading thread data ...

IIRC, you can build about anything you want with the packet driver interface. I wrote some code in a previous life to saturate a 10BaseT network using some old DOS machines, but of course it was on a separate test LAN.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Am Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:02:57 -0400 schrieb William P. N. Smith:

Is it also possible to create non-Ethernet headers? For example 2-byte address fields, etc...

Thanks Herbert

Reply to
Herbert Haas

Yes. It is the standard procedure for a driver to assemble the whole frame in software. The NIC sends whatever there is and does not care for dest, source or type fields.

>
Reply to
Manfred Kwiatkowski

(snip)

Not to mention, if I remember right, that ethernet includes a version with 16 bit addresses.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Two-byte addresses are no longer part of the standard; the "feature" was removed in 1997 (and was never commercially implemented anyway).

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

Probably, though I don't recall the details. Look up the documentation on the packet interface, it shold all be there.

BTW, if you start spewing non-ethernet stuff onto the cable, you'd have a very good chance that it's not going anywhere, as 'broken' frames (bad checksum, etc) aren't going anywhere, and probably (hopefully) won't propagate through switches...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.