Switch to switch causing traffic problems?

oops - was concentrating only on Errors -

Various examples on the web have (very) high Unknown protocols in their examples but haven't found an explanation.

I currently have 9 Unknown on my machine and not sure why I should have any or if it matters.

Reply to
AnthonyL
Loading thread data ...

Do cheap GigE hubs exist? Non-cheap?

Reply to
David Ross

No gigabit ethernet hubs exist except possibly for hand-made one-offs in laboratories somewhere. To get a monitoring port on gigabit you're going to have to get a managed switch. Surprisingly, there is one available at a not too terrible price, the Hawking Tech HGS16S for around $250. I have no idea how well it works, but one limitation is that it can only monitor two ports at a time. Still, as a diagnostic tool a crappy managed switch is still better than an unmanaged one.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Are the switches auto-negotiating speed and duplex? If so, are they negotiation duplex correctly. I have seen occasional problems with this between Extreme and Netgear kit.

Reply to
Stephen Furley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.