Simplest hardware node

I'm looking for the simplest possible hardare implementation that I can connect via cat5 ethernet cable to my router that my router will recognize as a node on the network, and be willing to send it data, even if that data is simply dropped on the floor, so to speak.

Is it possible to just use a power supply and ground to set certain pins on the cable a constant high or low?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
bmearns
Loading thread data ...

Oh, that's what you mean.

A 10baseT transceiver and a power supply should do it.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Thanks for both response;

I'm actually looking to expand this project slightly, do you know of anything even simpler (in terms of hardware, not effort) that I could do, say with a bread board?

bothered to reply."

That's a good point, James thank you, I won't do that anymore.

Reply to
bmearns

Or a cheap hub or switch. They might be more readily available.

BTW, please don't request an e-mail reply for a question posted in the newsgroup. If you can't be bothered to check back here, we can't be bothered to reply.

Reply to
James Knott

Are you sure a router would actually dump data to a hub or switch without any other connection ?

I would expect some ARP requests --at most--, but no payload :-)

Reply to
Gerard Bok

Something like UDP or ICMP would work fine, as they don't require a "connection" to the other computer, the way TCP does. All they need, is a working network connection and they don't care what's beyond.

Reply to
James Knott

On 23 Nov 2005 22:17:19 -0800, bmearns blurted:

formatting link
packet whacker
formatting link
formatting link
etc...

HTH Spamming this account signifies your unqualified consent to a free security audit

Reply to
spammersarevermin

James Knott wrote: (I wrote)

He ask for the simplest. I have heard of people powering a transceiver off a standard 9 volt battery, though probably not for very long.

I used to know a machine with automatic AUI/10base2 switching which relied on a minimum current through the AUI power pins to do the switching.

It is probably now so hard to build the logic to generate link pulses, but transceivers are already designed to do that.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Sorry, but that's not what I meant. Your 'connection' is a logical one. I was refering to the lack of a physical connection.

UDP or ICMP need a link to travel on. I think :-)

Think 127.0.0.1. Always connected, never a signal :-)

Reply to
Gerard Bok

Or, if he can find one, and old 10base2 NIC, a T coupler and a pair of terminators should do it too. He could also use a 24 ohm resistor, in place of the coupler and two terminators. Can't get much simpler than that.

Reply to
James Knott

It seems to get simpler and simpler :-)

But how would an ancient NIC (unpowered ?) and a 24 ohm resistor been recognized (as a node) by a router, let alone tempt it to transmit data ?

Reply to
Gerard Bok

I would assume that if he's trying to send data, he'd have a NIC somewhere. If he can plug in a 10base2 NIC, that should do. It gets the power from the computer. All he needs is a NIC of some time that's connected to a real circuit. With twisted pair, that means he needs a switch or hub to plug into, with coax type NIC, he only needs the proper termination.

Reply to
James Knott

Maybe I missed something, but I believe most 10baseT devices won't send data out unless they see link pulses coming in. A source of link pulses can be convenient in testing. One can then do whatever one wants with the bits coming out from the device.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

He wants the cheapest device that will lure his router into sending actual data to it.

I can only see a NIC qualify his needs if this NIC is placed in a more or less fully functional PC. Am I missing something here ?

Reply to
Gerard Bok

I said 10base2, which is the old coax type ethernet. IIRC, it doesn't use a link pulse. However, a baseT connection to a hub or switch should be OK as the link pulse is use to check the connection to the hub/switch, not to verify there's another computer on the network .

Reply to
James Knott

He needs a NIC of some type. All we've done is suggest some possibilities. He has to use some common sense. I'm not saying he has to use 10base2. I just offered it as a simple, cheap possibility. If he has such a NIC and a computer that can take it, great. If not he has to look at some other alternative.

I hate it, when some people try to impose restrictions that the OP hadn't mentioned.

Reply to
James Knott

With 10base2 you need the terminating resistor if at the end, otherwise just a tee connector to get the bits to fall on the floor, as the OP requested. For 10baseT you need link pulses.

One possibility is a device to indicate any traffic on the port, which the LEDs on many transceivers will indicate.

One problem is that the switch might not send unicast packets that direction, but that will be true in any case.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

In another note, I mentioned using a 24 ohm resistor, in place of two terminators and T connector.

Reply to
James Knott

I'm looking for the simplest possible hardare implementation that I

can

Hi there. I think you got some of this wrong. But on the other hand

there are a few things you acctually convinced me with. Can you add

more to that?

Reply to
Holly57

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.