Safe.com 8 Port 10/100Mbs Fast Ethernet Switch

Bought this goodie from e-buyer, for about a £5. Expected it to live up to 100Mbs and found it only capable of 3.4% of that value. Is this typical, does anybody else own one and if so what do they read on Performance monitor.

- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Brown
Loading thread data ...

How is your cabling?

Switches usually either work, or they don't (dead ports are common). A split pair in cabling will cause a high error rate, and low throughput.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

In article , Robert Redelmeier wrote: :Stephen Brown wrote: :> Bought this goodie from e-buyer, for about a ?5. Expected :> it to live up to 100Mbs and found it only capable of 3.4% :> of that value.

:Switches usually either work, or they don't (dead ports are :common). A split pair in cabling will cause a high error rate, :and low throughput.

Also, a duplex mismatch will lead to speeds about what the OP noted, when transfering in one of the two directions.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Reply to
Stephen Brown

All ports report 100Mbs and I tried Auto and Forced. No luck.

Reply to
Stephen Brown

But that just gives more credence to mis-wired cabling or duplex mismatches. 10Base-T is very forgiving. 100Base-T is not.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Just got a report back from e-buyer, they say the hub was "dropping connections", don't know if thats a mad up excuse to send me another one or a problem that can be had.

Reply to
Stephen Brown

Just got a report back from e-buyer, they say the hub was "dropping connections", don't know if thats a mad up excuse to send me another one or a problem that can be had.

- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Brown

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.