Redundancy Support in Router

Hello all, I am currently looking at setting up a web server at home. Nothing major, mostly just to play around with. Eventually, though, I would like to have two servers (for redundancy purposes). My current router is dying and I would like to replace it with something that supports my future plans. Right now my router only allows a port to be fowarded to one ip address on the network. Is there a router that can forward to an ip address and, if it fails, it can forward to a second ip address? I'm looking for an affordable solution, which may not be possible, but I'm not entirely sure what I need to get. Thanks for your help.

-Tim

Reply to
barleyco
Loading thread data ...

On 05.11.2005 16:48 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

This is not the right group for your question.

But as you are already here. Let your servers talk VRRP/CARP/HSRP to your router. That way the *service* is always available under one IP as long a one server is operational.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Thank you for your reply.

I have two questions for you:

1) Do I need a router to support these protocols? Or is this something that the web servers will 'hide' from the router? I have been searching for routers that support CARP (apparently the least expensive (free) of the three) and I can't find anything. 2) Sorry for posting in the wrong group. For future questions, what group would this fit into?

Thanks again for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

-Tim

Reply to
barleyco

(snip)

(snip)

Most likely comp.protocols.tcp-ip.

Ethernet can carry many different protocols, and this newsgroup is about ethernet. Also, TCP/IP can be carried by many layer 2 protocols other than ethernet.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

On 06.11.2005 04:28 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

No

Not only from the router but also from any other device.

Actually if you use OpenBGPD it's most likely that you will use CARP. All Hardware Routers will use VRRP (or HSRP).

Dunno,

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.