rack switch ports on back

I am looking for a gigabit ethernet switch for a rack mount unit. For some reason most of the rack mount switches I see have the ethernet connections on the front. Not sure why that is as how many rack units want to run the cables for all their computers to the front of the rack? Perhaps they are just meant for either desktop units or rack and some people prefer desktop units to have the connections where they can be reached from the front. Is there models that have the ports on the back? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Need only 8 ports per rack but more is fine.

Thanks.

JR

Reply to
JR
Loading thread data ...

That's for the simple reason to be able to patch them easily when the front door is open.

Every single one that I know.

You might just mount your switch on the backside profile rails of your rack. Given that your rack has those, of course. But it is generally a better idea to leave the switch and all of its controls and jacks facing the front side. What exactly is your problem with this idea - the routeing of the patch cable?

Reply to
Denis Jedig

The racks in common use it large facilities have rails front and rear in the cabinet. I've faced the RJ45 field and the switch on the rear rail, facing to the back. (because that's where the cable bundle was). The servers faced front.

The front and rear rails exist because servers can be heavy and need support front and rear.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Most everything from Cisco can be mounted either way just by attaching the ears to the other side. Usually you have to move one extra screw per side to do this.

If you have a rack of network gear, the front is much more convenient than the back. If you have a rack of servers, the back is probably more convenient.

Reply to
Daniel J McDonald

Most rack mounted switches allow you to fix the mounting brackets to the back of the switch ... effectively mounting the switch with the switchports facing inward.

Reply to
BernieM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.