Point to point communications over 100baseT

I have a requirment to communicate between 2 PC's over a point to point connection at 33Mbps. Other then LVDS what comm protocal supports these speeds? (I know USB does, but I have not found a USB hosthost bridge that supports those speeds.) I know ethernet does, but I've never seen it used in this manner. Is it possible to directly connect 2 machines with a 100baseT cable and just talk to each other without TCP/IP? Is there software that supports such a beast?

Thanks!

-larry

Reply to
Larry Martell
Loading thread data ...

In article , Larry Martell wrote: :I have a requirment to communicate between 2 PC's over a point to :point connection at 33Mbps.

:Is it :possible to directly connect 2 machines with a 100baseT cable :and just talk to each other without TCP/IP?

Yes.

:Is there software that supports such a beast?

Is there a particular need for it to not be TCP based? If so is there also a requirement that it not be IP based? 33 megabits per second of payload is well within the capabilities of any modern TCP or IP stack.

In any case, you can write out raw ethernet packets, and the other end can read raw ethernet packets. You'll have a little bit of difficulty in getting the receiver's NIC to accept the packets. I suggest that you look at 'libpcap' which is well able to do the appropriate setup for capturing arbitrary packets.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Sure, just use a crossover cable instead of a straight through cable. What distance do you need to do this at? If you are talking more than the hundred meter limit of UTP without a repeater, then you start to hit a bunch of issues that make it way more expensive. You do need a good set of NICs, preferably matching ones to reduce finger pointing from vendors blaming the other guy rather than solving problems.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

100 Mbit/s comes to my mind first.

Sure, just use a crossover cable instead of a straight through cable. With a crossover cable you can connect two PCs directly to each other. I have done this many times.

Ethernet and TCP/IP usually come together. But there is no need to use TCP/IP protocol with Ethernet. Ethernet can support many different protocols, and with suitable software you can just send and receive "raw" Ethernet packets.

Reply to
Tomi Holger Engdahl

If you're talking more than 100 meter, you can either go to fiber-based Ethernet solutions (100BASE-FX/LX10/BX10), or to 10PASS-TS.

10PASS-TS will give you (more than) 33 Mbps over several hundred meters of voice-grade twisted pair. It is part of the recently approved "Ethernet in the First Mile" standard (IEEE Std 802.3ah-2004) and is based on VDSL. There are proprietary (pre-standard) solutions available on the market as well.

Michael (remove "filter" from email address)

formatting link

Reply to
Thomas Decker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.