NAS behind Router on same subnet.

Hi, I have a NAS device, a buffalo TerraStation to be exact, connected to a small router on the same subnet. Does anyone have pointers as to how I can find it on the net. I'm not certain, but I think that this NAS broadcasts itself as a windows directory//SMB. The NAS is accessible when I am on the same router but I don't know how to find it when it is behind the new one.

Thanks for reading, Lance

Reply to
lancepickens
Loading thread data ...

If it's sitting behind a router, then it should probably be in a different subnet. And if you're using windows networking, then to get things to work across subnets you should have a WINS server configured, either via DHCP or manually.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

I connected the Belkin router to the other spare ethernet port on my network. The NAS is connected to that. I can ping the router, of course, but am a little lost on where to go from here. Will all devices connected to that router appear as having a singular IP address to the outside world? Thanks, for the help, I'm really new at this.

Reply to
lancepickens

If you're new to the whole subnetting thing, suggest to read some stuff on it. It would be hard to go through everything here. There's tons of stuff on the web (search for "subnetting basics"), and you should be able to find good books as well.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.