Lan tester

I currently have a problem with my LAN.

A cable run to my patch panel is not working

A cable running outside got stretched when a window being opened fouled it. I replaced the wire between the cat 6 socket in the house and a point a couple of meters beyond the stretch where I connected to the original wiring via an in line coupler (krone)

On my LAN tester "NS-468 ".

all the lights come on sequentially other then no 2 orange. If I look at the remote sensor, the lights come on 1 2 7 4 3 6 5 with no number 8.

Should this tell me something or is just the orange strand broken somewhere.

Chris

Reply to
christopher
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@removebundy.co.uk wrote in part:

Where to begin ... there are so many problems here:

First problem: most Cat6 cable should not be run outside. It is not rated for it, you risk lightning damage and there are different installation practices required (supports, drip loops, etc). Oh, and it is subject to mechanical damage ...

Gee ... what a surprise :)

Sounds fairly good, but normally the whole run should be replaced, mostly due to the impossibility of splicing ...

Inside located? Or outside-rated? All of these I have seen are "convenience" devices for extending patch-cords with two 8p8c (RJ45) jacks [female]. Maybe they work, maybe they don't. In any case, _NOT_ allowed by standards, and really should not be used on fixed wiring. When a user tries them and they don't work, the user might notice.

Worse are the plugs. To use a coupler on fixed wiring, you have to crimp on two 8p8c plugs. This is much more difficult to do correctly than it might appear. Beyond wiremap (T-568A or -B?), there are issues of plug-wire compatibility, untwist, seating depth, etc.

A simple connectivity tester. When I use something like this, I prefer a simple DVOM with loop-back plugs. Then I can see if any pair shows high resistance.

It might be broken, but more likely you just have a poor crimp.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

thanks for the response

Cable run is exterior grade and has been up for 3 years with no problems it runs under the eaves and is protected apart from going round a window.

The connector dooes not involve plugs it is a krone punchdown connector block.

Does the order of the lights on the remote sensor convey any information

chris

Reply to
christopher

snipped-for-privacy@removebundy.co.uk wrote in part:

At least that sounds less horrible.

Even better, take care of the punchdown order. If there is any color sticker, it is probably irregular. I need to find some of those.

Yes. According to the operating manual (googled easily), the lights should be in order 1-8, and if not it indicates a crossed conductor. A missing light is a non-connect.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

I have different orders at the unit end and repeater end ?

Reply to
christopher

Wondering why you started a new thread.

Or maybe it's my newserver. The same might have happened in another group recently (a post showing up as a new thread), and AstraWeb has had some trouble serving some groups today.

Reply to
John Doe

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 17:47:41 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEbundy.co.uk wrote (with clarity & insight):

If you intend a straight-through cable, then you should expect sequential lights to light up.

Out-of-sequence lights means out-of-sequence conductors.

Try your gizmo on a known-good cable and look at what the thing's telling you.

Reply to
Wayne R.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.