IPG - Inter Packed Gap - why defined to 96 bits?

Hi All, Why IPG is defined as 96 bits? Does anybody know? Are IPG and IFG (Inter Frame Gap) the same? Thank you!

Reply to
dmitryl.home
Loading thread data ...

I suspect that Inter-Packet Gap and Inter-Frame Gap are one and the same. Packet is a "generic" term for all manner of "packets." Frame is the specific term used to describe a packet at the Ethernet (and perhaps similar) layer. Datagram is the IPv4 and IPv6 specific name for a "packet" there, and "segment" is the name in the context of TCP.

So, you can have a TCP segment carried in an IP datagram which itself is carried in an Ethernet frame, and it is all one big, happy "packet."

As for why 96 bits,

formatting link
't get terribly specific, but the one reason it gives - to allow a device to get ready to receive the next frame - is something that I seem to recall being at least part of the reason. I suspect the original Ethernet specification may go into the details.

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.