Inter VLAN Routing

Hi,

Is there any RFC for inter-VLAN communication.?. How can i perform inter-VLAN communication without an need of an external router.

Thanks

Reply to
vanitha
Loading thread data ...

Cisco has implemented a proprietary VLAN Trunking Protocol right..I am looking for something equivalent to that.

Reply to
vanitha

Easy: with an internal router.

Apart from that, if you want direct layer 2 LAN connectivity, why use separate VLANs at all?

best regards Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Schaaf

get a layer 3 switch (ie: a switch that is also a router) actually, layer 3 switches are better than just a "switch that is also a router" - they are faster than most routers, since they do the routing in hardware.

Reply to
I am a Sock Puppet

That's for trunking, if i understand it correctly. Lets you mux together a bunch of vlans inside a vlan.

Still doesn't route between the vlans.

Reply to
I am a Sock Puppet

Walter-

I was wondering about that - isn't that vlan trunking basically vlan inside a vlan type stuff?

Reply to
I am a Sock Puppet

In article , wrote: :Cisco has implemented a proprietary VLAN Trunking Protocol right..I am :looking for something equivalent to that.

What connection do you see between that an inter-vlan routing or other inter-vlan communication?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.