Gigabit Ethernet connector

I've certainly never heard of one. What makes you think one exists? Have you considered running a cable right to the board?

Reply to
James Knott
Loading thread data ...

Hi All,

I´m designing a digital board in which I need a Gigabit interface over copper (1000Base-T).The problem is that I don´t have enough space for the RJ-45 connector, and I´m wondering if there exists other kinds of standard conector, smaller than RJ45.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------

##-----------------------------------------------##

Delivered via

formatting link
formatting link
no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.lans.ethernet - 1780 messages and counting!

Reply to
gnathita

You might try an SATA connector--it's not a lot smaller but it's flatter and the impedance is right. Just make sure you label it so that nobody tries to connect it to a disk or disk controller. A couple of the smaller Firewire connectors might work--Firewire is, I understand, 110 ohm, which should be close enough as long as you're not pushing the limit on cable length, but you'd need to use two of them as they're only two-pair. And good luck connecting a CAT5e cable to either.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hi All,

I need to find a standard gigabit connector (1000BaseT) smaller than the RJ45, is there any? It´s driving me almost crazy finding one!!

Thanks!

-------------------------------------

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.lans.ethernet - 2924 messages and counting!

Reply to
gnathita

Other than the RJ45 (and maybe the 110 punch block) there are no standards-compliant connectors for TP Ethernet. I'd say your only option would be to run a cable directly to the board, ensuring crosstalk, impedance, and other parameters are within spec.

What are you trying to fit this into that an RJ45 is too big?

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.