End to End Performance Measurement

We have two DSL-connected sites that connect to each other often. Performance is very intermittent, and we are trying to determine which connection is the bad one. I think one of the two DSL lines is probably giving terrible performance. What would be the best tool for monitoring performance of these lines? I think a program that runs as a Windows service and did pings to public web sites and graphed the latency over time would reveal a lot. Who has such a tool?

What program could be used to trace end to end performance of the various systems, keeping in mind that there are firewalls that block ICMP traffic?

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

Then run the speed tests at dslreports.com from both ends. Also some pings to a big public site.

For lower-level diag, I often ping my DSL gateway (ISP's first machine that answers to `traceroute`).

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Firewalls. Wonderful devices aren't they.

netperf 2.4.0rc1 allows one to set the addressing information for both ends of its control and data connections. combined with a bit of forwarding setup on one end you would probably be able to run either TCP_STREAM or TCP_RR tests from one end to the other at will.

If configured with --enable-histogram=yes and with the verbosity (-v) set to 2 at the end of each run you would get a histogram of the time spent in the send() call (TCP_STREAM) or for each transaction (TCP_RR).

At various points in its history, netperf has compiled and run under Windows. I'm not certain how well 2.4.0rc1 would compile at the moment

- lots of changes have been made with no access to a Windows system for test compilation.

Going from one DSL site to another brings the issue of asymmetry - unless you have the same speed up and down on the DSL links, sending from one DSL link will probably max that DLS link's upload speed before it maxes the other DSL link's download speed. To deal with that you need a source that is as fast or faster than the DSL download speed -

formatting link
may be a good place for that.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

i have heard good things about ping plotter

formatting link
i tried it for some enterprise nets and it was useful - but we didnt have an intermittent fault to try it out on.....

big issue for you is that it is going to send pings - so you need any "firewalls" at the your sites to allow a ping through

(should be OK if it comes from the secure LAN, but maybe not when it comes from the internet), and / or respond to ping. then try a PC at 1 end to the WAN connection at the far site.

Reply to
stephen

Will Further to your query our GTek 8A ASDSL tester is an easy to use handheld tester that will also perform ping tests. For information see:

formatting link

-------------------------------------

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.lans.ethernet - 2337 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Phil

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.