Different Rate Limits per Port based on IP?

We use C2950 switches with EI and are successfully rate limiting on individual ports. Now we have an additional need.

We are running virtual servers (multiple guest machines running on a single physical host). The physical host plugs into a single switchport. For example, assume 5 guest machines:

VM 1 - 10.1.1.1 VM 2 - 10.1.1.2 VM 3 - 10.1.1.3 VM 4 - 10.1.1.4 VM 5 - 10.1.1.5 Physical host - 10.1.1.6

We want each VM to be rate limited individually. Example, each VM should get 1 Mbps. In other words, rate-limit based on source IP.

If we just rate limit the switchport to 5 Mbps, a single VM could pass up to 5 Mbps traffic. Goal not met.

I know the 2950 has very few rate-limit options compared to a router or a 3550.

Is there any way to accomplish what we need on the 2950? If not, what is the minimum switch model we'll need to do this, and will we need SI or EI image?

Or is it better in the long run to go with a router to rate-limit based on IP address?

Advice, please. TIA.

Reply to
JayDubb
Loading thread data ...

this does not scale. It is not a good option to do this on any CISCO device.

If you absolutely need this, get a 3550 and make a class for each ip host. That class will be from an ACL matching the ip address... i.e.

access-list 106 permit ip host 10.1.1.1 any access-list 106 permit ip any host 10.1.1.1

class match-all host1 match access-group 106

policy hosts-qos class host1 bandwidth 256

Reply to
jbrunner007

Thanks for the info. Fortunately, there will only be a couple hundred virtual hosts spread across numerous switches so the load per-switch won't be high.

Followup question: Will the 3550 do this with the SI image, or do I need the more expensive EI?

Reply to
JayDubb

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.