Ethernet Repeaters

Hello,

I've been thinking about 10base2 for the last couple of days. Does a repeater count as a node on each of the segments that it's attached to?

- Andy.

Reply to
Andy Ball
Loading thread data ...

The standard doesn't use the term "node". There is a limit of 30 transceivers on each segment. A repeater requires a transceiver on each segment to which it attaches, and counts towards that limit of 30 on each one.

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

Hello Rich,

RHS> There was a minimum spacing requirement (transceiver- > to-transceiver) of 0.5 m, but that was it. There was > no preferred cable length.

Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps it's more of an issue with the broadband variants (none of which I have tried).

RHS> There is a limit of 30 transceivers on each segment. > A repeater requires a transceiver on each segment to > which it attaches, and counts towards that limit of > 30 on each one.

Explained like that, it makes sense. I had read that 10base2 was limited to 30 nodes per segment and that had sparked some debate locally about what constitutes a 'node'. Since it's really a 30 /transceiver/ limit, I don't have to wait for the jury to reach a decision on that one :-)

- Andy Ball

Reply to
Andy Ball

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.