Change MAC address

Hi,

I have 2 networking devices which are the same. But the MAC addresses can be changed. When I connect them to a hub, do I need to change the MAC address so that they have different MAC addresses?

Thanks!

Reply to
leonlai2k
Loading thread data ...

Are you saying they have the same mac? That's unual. Some computer NICs can be changed, but without further info, I haven't any idea about what you've got.

Reply to
James Knott

What kind of devices?

In general (plus or minus the discussion in this ng about what happens or how it should be handled when two MAC addresses are the same), every single MAC address should be globally unique.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

The mac addresses should be different anyway. What type of devices are they, NICs?

Regards

Bill

Reply to
phoenix

However, unique MACs are only required on the local network. One you pass through a router, the original MAC is lost, along with the rest of the original ethernet (or other) frame.

Reply to
James Knott

:In general (plus or minus the discussion in this ng about what happens :or how it should be handled when two MAC addresses are the same), :every single MAC address should be globally unique.

Though that's not the underlying definition: the underlying requirement is not -global- uniqueness, but rather uniqueness per segment.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

OK, they only have to be unique per segment to make that particular segment work, but in general, they should be globally unique, so any device will work on any segment with any other device. And yeah, there are nits you can pick all day, but I suspect the OP needs to give them (globally) unique addresses.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Hopefully, he can find unique addresses. There are only 281 trillion of them available. ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

Maybe we'd better start salvaging the MACs from all the NICs that have been trashed over the years. ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

Normally, a NIC will be shipped from the factory with a globally unique MAC address. One exception to this is when you have multiple NICs in a SUN computer. In that case, the default is to have one MAC address for all the NICs in the machine. The idea is that the address is for the computer, not the NIC and that there would be no reason to have more than one NIC connected to an ethernet segment. You can change this default and have a seperate MAC address for each NIC by setting a value into the correct variable in the open boot program.

Reply to
Thomas Schulz

I'm sorry I cannot share your optimism... After setting the Individual/Group address bit to 0 and the Universally or Locally administered address bit to

1, there are only about 70 trillion possible combinations left! ;-)

(See IEEE Std 802-2001 subclause 9.2 for more details.)

Michael (remove filter from email address)

--

formatting link

Reply to
Michael

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.