cascading unmanaged switches

What is the maximum number of cascading unmanaged switches. nway 10/100 and specifically SVEC switches. i mailed them, they wont reply If there is no straight answer i'll detail my network problem.

Reply to
abinader
Loading thread data ...

There is no limit, as each switch port is a collision domain all by itself. You can have any number you want, though at some point the complexity and troubleshooting issues will overwhelm you...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

There is a spanning tree equipment of "no more than 7 hops"

Reply to
Hansang Bae

But where unmanaged switches don't do spanning tree, does that still apply? [You won't detect loops, but that's manual management for you...]

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

There is no limit as regards to ethernet. Each packet is received, stored and transmitted by every bridge according to how a bridge is supposed to work.

You might be concerned by other stuff ( Spanning tree and excessive broadcasts are two items)

Reply to
phn

The few that I saw still runs spanning tree. You just can't manage the switch, poll it via snmp or create manual root bridges.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

|> The few that I saw still runs spanning tree. You just can't manage the |> switch, poll it via snmp or create manual root bridges.

|Forgive my rudeness, but now I really feel you're talking out of body |openings not meant for verbal communication. Unless you provide examples, |I shall chuckle and ignore.

You are responding to a posting that is more than a month old.

But if you need a specific example:

formatting link
is about the HP Switch 208t and 224T. The documentation there implies that the switches will always use Spanning Tree (unless you specifically configure otherwise), and yet they are not managed switches unless you add the optional "HP Advancestack Switch 208/224 Management Module".

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Forgive my rudeness, but now I really feel you're talking out of body openings not meant for verbal communication. Unless you provide examples, I shall chuckle and ignore.

/steven

- 'Every mighty oak was once a nut who stood his ground'

Reply to
Steven R Koutstaal

Unless I'm mistaken, spanning tree only comes into play, when there are multiple paths to any computer. As long as you stick to a heirarcheal tree structure, you don't have to worry about that.

Reply to
James Knott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.