Wireless pings

My PS3 connects to my Cisco 851w, but pings are periodically 10-25ms, which is bad when transfering files and playing games...

Sometimes I get 1ms for maybe a minute or 2, but after that its back to

10-25 ms for 5-15 minutes...

Suggestions greatky appreciated!

Reply to
Nicolai
Loading thread data ...

Pings to what? Using p2p or bit torrent while this is happening? Or is someone in your home using these applications? Any large downloads or file transfers?

Reply to
Trendkill

Pings between my PC connected to same cisco 851w with utp, and no data being transfered.

I suspect some kind of powersave?

Reply to
Nicolai

Hmm.. I use to have a similar issue with a wireless device back in the day, it turned out my microwave was causing RF interference, and my ping times would shoot up to around 100-150ms. You dont have a wireless phone ringing or some sort of RF interference generating device running during these times do you think?

Also just my thoughts, I am not sure that 10-25ms is really bad ping times for a wireless device, for file transfers or otherwise. Sub

50ms should work great for any type of online gaming, (well depending on round trip I suppose). For instance, WoW / Unreal runs great at right below sub 100ms ping time ( I bet :P ).
Reply to
TeamGracie

I dont, but the neighbor could :|

Using HFS its really bad. PS3 does not support FTP :(

Reply to
Nicolai

~ My PS3 connects to my Cisco 851w, but pings are periodically 10-25ms, which ~ is bad when transfering files and playing games... ~ ~ Sometimes I get 1ms for maybe a minute or 2, but after that its back to ~ 10-25 ms for 5-15 minutes... ~ ~ Suggestions greatky appreciated!

I suggest that you track CSCsq51158. It seems that the 85xW may have antenna diversity enabled, which is a problem given that it only has one antenna, and this may produce results that are consistent with what you describe.

Which is not to say that this couldn't be something else ...

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Command to disable?

Reply to
Nicolai

Thanx, but it seems my 851W does not support the antenna command?!

formatting link
Any other suggestions greatly appreciated

Reply to
Nicolai

~ > I suggest that you track CSCsq51158. It seems that the 85xW may have ~ > antenna ~ > diversity enabled, which is a problem given that it only has one antenna, ~ > and ~ > this may produce results that are consistent with what you describe. ~ ~ Thanx, but it seems my 851W does not support the antenna command?! ~ ~

formatting link
~ Any other suggestions greatly appreciated

Yep, the 851W doesn't support the "antenna" command. Which makes sense, because the 851W only *has* one [external] antenna.

Unfortunately, it appears that we may have goofed and failed to have turned off the internal antenna that we're not using :-(

Solution: track CSCsq51158.

formatting link
Once we have code with a fix, then the 851W should work better.

Note: the above assumes that this diversity issue, rather than something else, is your problem. A wireless sniff would verify.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

formatting link
CSCsq51158 Bug Details The bug ID CSCsq51158 has not been properly assigned to a Cisco product so its details are only available to Cisco Employees. It is our policy to make all externally-facing bugs available in Bug Toolkit so the system administrators have been automatically alerted to the problem. By choosing to watch this bug, you will be notified when this bug details are available. Note: Some product enhancement requests and documentation bugs may not be available in Bug Toolkit.

Eta? :)

Reply to
Nicolai

~ > Solution: track CSCsq51158. ~ >

formatting link
~ CSCsq51158 Bug Details ~ The bug ID CSCsq51158 has not been properly assigned to a Cisco ~ product so its details are only available to Cisco Employees. It is our ~ policy to make all externally-facing bugs available in Bug Toolkit so the ~ system administrators have been automatically alerted to the problem. By ~ choosing to watch this bug, you will be notified when this bug details are ~ available. Note: Some product enhancement requests and documentation bugs ~ may not be available in Bug Toolkit.

Grr. I've fixed up what I think was the problem with the bug, so that hopefully it should show up in Bug Toolkit early next week.

~ > Once we have code with a fix, then the 851W should work better. ~ ~ Eta? :)

Well, the fix is trivial, so hopefully we should have a fix onto CCO before too long. Although as always, the more TAC cases that are opened, and linked to the bug, the more quickly the fix will be available.

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.