What SIP phones should I buy?

I am very familiar with the Sipura/Linksys line of ATAs and some of the phones. My problem is that I am offering to replace traditional PBXs with an Asterisk-based PBX. Many of those customers are used to brand names like Avaya and would like to have a top brand, nice looking, with the best audio, etc. phone sets.

Frankly speaking, the SPA941 looks kind of cheap, and its sound is not that great.

So, I am told that the best VoIP phone available is the Polycom, and I started researching them.

Disappointment Number One: I find out that Polycom has a policy of only allowing special people, priests of some sort, to access their sacred firmware. Well, I guess that if their quality is as good as they say, they are entitled to be arrogant and unfriendly to customers. Call them Soup Nazis.

Disappointment Number Two: (and as opposed to #1, this is a biggie) It seems that most Polycom phones do not have a web server built in. I simply couldn't believe this. One of my concern is the dialplan. With Linksys, it offers a lot of flexibility with the phone making decision as to which gateway to connect, etc., etc. OTOH, even the top of the line Polycoms: all they have is the crummy low res display as a configuring interface.

Both brands can be auto-provisioned.

Is it fair to say that Linksys has much more expertise in HTTP, routing, Internet, while Polycom is the standard as far as voice quality??

Comments, opinions?

-Ramon

Reply to
Ramon F Herrera
Loading thread data ...

Not sure on the others, but I run a Cisco 7960 on asterisk at home and it works great. Might be a little high on price, but definitely has the 'shiny & new' effect. As for your other question, you need to go with the features you need first, and then the look/feel later. From my perspective, voice quality is always first, followed by the nice-to- haves, and nothing should be considered that doesn't have the features you need at your site. Polycom units are very nice, and they have been in voice (mostly analog) for a very long time. I agree with your comments on linksys, but they are indeed owned by Cisco which help mitigates that question. Quality and features over look and feel any day. And don't forget usability. Difficulty for admins is one pain, but difficulty for customers/associates is a much larger problem.

Reply to
Trendkill

Reply to
gery

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.