Very strange ftp problems through 1700 router.

I have a static nat translation setup to allow the FTP service from outside to inside. This seems to work perfectly fine for a undetermined and seemingly random ammount of time. Then without warning it will stop allowing ftp communications. The only way to fix it is to take out the static mapping and put it in again, or to reboot the router.

This is a very hard to solve problem for me because we have other static mappings on addresses on the router that work perfectly fine and never drop connections.

The ftp server is an IIS ftp server if that has anything to do with it. The router also allows VPN connection in. I am just wondering if any of the experts hopefully reading this forum have any suggestions!

Thanks.

Reply to
drstrangenorm
Loading thread data ...

Are you by any chance limiting 'max-entries' for nat on this router?

Reply to
Paul

Nope, I am not doing any such thing. I am thinking about using a different ftp server program just to see if maybe the ftp program itself is sending goofy packets causing it to mess w/ the router. I doubt it, but at this point it is worth a shot.

Reply to
drstrangenorm

Hi,

Are you using any sort of protocol inspection features on the router? What is the IOS, feature set you are using? Try using another ftp server and see if it happens again like you said to rule out either or. Then if it does the same thing post your config.

Rob

Reply to
RobO

i am having the exact same issue. did you find a solution?

Reply to
scott

No not yet. I havent been able to go out and solve it because my customer stopped paying the bills. I might get to go repo the servers :) If they pay the bill and I work on it and figure out a fix I'll let you know.

Reply to
drstrangenorm

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.