Using HSRP for fail over from Frame Relay to DSL

I have a router at the main office with static routes to another location. I am using Frame Relay to that location and I also have another static route to that location using DSL. The original config was set up using two diffrent networks and if one failed I would have to instruct the other location how to unplug the frame router and plug in the DSL router. Then would have to change jetdirect ip address for that network.

Well I have now set up the two routers at the location to use HSRP. The

837 (DSL) router and the 1600 (frame) router are working great! HSRP is working! The problem I am having is that the router at the main office is not switching to the valid route. I now have it configured using two static routes with administrative distance. How long should I have to wait for this route to become active? Why am I not allowed to ping the non-active router? What am I doing wrong? How should I configure the main office router? Should I use EIGRP, RIP, or OSPF. ########################### Frame Router at location ########################### interface Ethernet0 ip address 192.168.30.253 255.255.255.0 ip helper-address no ip redirects no ip directed-broadcast no keepalive standby ip 192.168.30.254 standby track Serial1.1 20 standby priority 110 standby preempt ########################### DSL Router at location ########################### interface Ethernet0 ip address 192.168.30.252 255.255.255.0 ip helper-address standby ip 192.168.30.254 standby priority 100 standby preempt standby track Dialer0 20 hold-queue 32 in hold-queue 100 out ########################### Main Router at main office ########################### S 192.168.30.0/24 is directly connected, Serial0/0.30 S 192.168.30.0/24 is directly connected, Serial0/1.300

Thank You, Kenny

Reply to
ksnight
Loading thread data ...

It would appear that a dynamic routing protocol is what you need.

I would choose OSPF but EIGRP is perfectly good choice too.

I have never used unnumbered interfaces and a routing protocol and you don't say what is on the dialer or the Serial. I have no idea if that will work. I guess it must be OK.

With the above caveat:

remove the standby track bits remove the static routes.

add

router ospf 1 network 192.168.30.0 mask area 0 network other.nets.you have.connected.to.routers mask area 0

Check the OSPF costs that you are getting by default and if necesary add a costs statement to the relevant WAN interfaces.

router ospf 1 log-adjacency-changes redistribute static ! only if you say want to ! propagate a static route ! from say the central site ! e.g. default route. network 10.23.0.0 0.0.255.255 area 0 network 192.168.0.0 0.0.7.255 area 0

sh ip ospf int vl 1 Vlan1 is up, line protocol is up Internet Address 192.168.7.248/24, Area 0 Process ID 1, Router ID 192.168.7.248, Network Type BROADCAST, Cost:

Well that would work with point to point serial and ethernet interfaces. The frame relay interface may need a bit more work since it may not handle the OSPF hello multicasts.

Left as an exercise for the reader:) In other words I'm stuck and I can't be bothered to look it up.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.