Trunk for a workstation

Hi, all,

A simple question:

1. A layer 2 Catalyst switch with different VLANs configured.
  2. A trunk configured in a switch port
  3. A windows workstation with only one NIC
  4. The workstation is connected to this trunk port.

Questions:

1. If different IP addresses to the workstation ( one NIC only )
  2. can this workstation work ( this workstation connected to a switch trunk port )?
  3. can this workstation go to these different IP subnets ?
  4. Can these IP subnets communicate with each other ( via the workstation as router ) ?
Reply to
bensonlei
Loading thread data ...

The wise snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.hk enlightened me with:

Is that a question?

yes, if the operating system/driver supports this and you configure it correctly

yes, if the operating system/driver supports this and you configure it correctly

Mark

Reply to
Mark Huizer

Hi, Thanks for the answers.

Want to know more:

1. in Q4, if workstation is as router between these subnets by default ?
  2. How can I configure the workstation for only the workstation can communicate with these individual subnets, but other hosts in these subnets can not communicate each other ?

Thanks a lot

Reply to
bensonlei

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.hk schrieb:

You should understand the difference between a physical NIC and logical NICs for each configured 802.1q VLAN first.

If the O/S is forwarding packets between different logical NICs/interfaces depends. By default Windows does NOT route.

Access-lists.

Reply to
Uli Link

Hi, For the answer "Access-list"; you mean ACL in Switch or workstation ?

1. Switches are configured in Layer 2 and no inter-VLAN route in the whole network environment, what ACL is applied ? if ACL in windows platform, May I know how to create a ACL in windows since I never do a ACL in window ?

1. What is the checklist in windows system/driver in order to enable the NIC drive supports

2.1 "4. Can these IP subnets communicate with each other ( via the workstation as router ) ? yes, if the operating system/driver supports this and you configure it correctly "

Thanks for the help

Reply to
bensonlei

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.