3500-XL Requirements for PVLAN

I want to run the Cisco PVLAN feature on a 3500-XL switch. What is the minimum amount of memory required to support this feature, and what are other minimum requirements I should look for in the switch?

The switch appears to have flash and regular memory, and which kind do I care about for this feature?

Does PVLAN require some extra license to enable?

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

Private VLAN Catalyst Switch Support Matrix

formatting link

Private VLAN edge support : Cisco IOS Release 12.0(5)XU

The PVLAN edge (protected port) is a feature that has only local significance to the switch (unlike Private Vlans), and there is no isolation provided between two protected ports located on different switches. A protected port does not forward any traffic (unicast, multicast, or broadcast) to any other port that is also a protected port in the same switch. Traffic cannot be forwarded between protected ports at L2, all traffic passing between protected ports must be forwarded through a Layer 3 (L3) device.

PVLANs provide layer 2 isolation between ports within the same broadcast domain. There are three types of PVLAN ports: Promiscuous- A promiscuous port can communicate with all interfaces, including the isolated and community ports within a PVLAN. Isolated- An isolated port has complete Layer 2 separation from the other ports within the same PVLAN, but not from the promiscuous ports. PVLANs block all traffic to isolated ports except traffic from promiscuous ports. Traffic from isolated port is forwarded only to promiscuous ports. Community- Community ports communicate among themselves and with their promiscuous ports. These interfaces are separated at Layer 2 from all other interfaces in other communities or isolated ports within their PVLAN.

Note: Some switches (as specified in the Private VLAN Catalyst Switch Support Matrix ) currently support only the PVLAN Edge feature. The term "protected ports" also refers to this feature. PVLAN Edge ports have a restriction that prevents communication with other protected ports on the same switch. Protected ports on separate switches, however, can communicate with each other. Do not confuse this feature with the normal PVLAN configurations that this document shows. For more information on protected ports, refer to the Configuring Port Security section of the document Configuring Port-Based Traffic Control.

Configuring Protected Ports

formatting link

Reply to
www.ipnetworks.it

formatting link
I had already seen this, and it says for the 3500XL "on 8MB switches only". So what type of memory is this: flash or regular?

And do I need an extra license to enable the PVLAN Edge feature?

Reply to
Will

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.