True routed interfaces for a 6500 switch?

A client has a number of ethernet connected sites operating at lines speeds of between 2 and 10mb/s. Does Cisco provide a blade for a 6509 chassis that provides true layer 3 routing? The physical ports would be

100mb or 1gb RJ45 copper. However they would be routed in software and allow for traffic rate shaping. Does such a beast exist?
Reply to
dexx
Loading thread data ...

You seem to be requiring multilayer switching capability for the 6500 series switches. Take a look at

formatting link
You should be able to route and configure QoS features withe the right supervisor engines.

Cisco da Gama

formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

You seem to be requiring multilayer switching capability for the 6500 series switches. Take a look at

formatting link
You should be able to route and configure QoS features with the right supervisor engines.

Cisco da Gama

formatting link

Reply to
ciscodagama

The 6500 has to run in IOS native mode in order to have routed interfaces.

AFAIK all ports on a native mode switch are routed ports by default.

Layer 2 switching on a port is enabled with the "switchport" command.

Ports are returned to being routed ports with the use of "no switchport" command.

Reply to
Merv

Layer 3 isnt enough. I'm after layer 3 routed interfaces that can do BGP and traffic shaping. Standard 6500 10/100 interfaces only allow for traffic policing.

Reply to
dexx

If the "lan" type interfaces don't have the features you want, take a look at the SIP modules. That's the "carrier" with various submodule type.

Reply to
brink

The 6500 supports BGP.

Most of the 6500 modules only support traffic policing.

A few WAN modules support traffic shaping.

Reply to
Merv

I found a method that appears to do what i need. Sure enough the

10/100 blades in a 6500 are layer 2 devices that use a switch matrix. As such they dont support traffic shaping. However the MSFC does. If i assign a vlan to a given port and have the MSFC shape the vlan, then i effectively get what i am seeking. The port config would look something like:

interface FastEthernet4/1.1 description 2M link to site encapsulation dot1Q 9 ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252 traffic rate 2000000

Reply to
dexx

I've only used modular QoS with policing on 6500 (shaping requires a FlexWAN card, I thought).

What kind of token bucket does the "traffic rate" use?

snipped-for-privacy@specialgreen.com

Reply to
Harv Ester

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.