Help with Switches their performance and monitoring

Hi gents, I'm a newbie in switching, I've found a problem in one of the companies I take care of. They have 5 switches, connected via fiber most of them, and with 6 different VLans configured . If necesary I can post config. So, every one is complaining about performance and I want to know what the problem could be, so I wondered if you could tell me your tricks to se how traffic flows, or may be the software you would recommend me to use to see if there are critical points in my network that are making my server less available .

As this is my very first implementation with switches anything you can tell me, surely will be helpfull for my future. Thanks to you all for this and other questions, and regards.

Reply to
Sako
Loading thread data ...

I forgot mentioning most of them are catalyst 2950 and 3500. Thnks

Reply to
Sako

How many ports per switch? How many ports are available per switch? Have you specified link speed and duplex on each port of the switch as well on all servers and workstations? What speed and duplex are you running, 10/100 full or half duplex? Is the slowness inter-vlan or routing between vlans? If the slowness is between vlans then how are you routing them? What vlan protocol are you using, ISL, or 802.1q? Do you have http enabled? The web console of the 3550 has some utilities built into it that will show you network utilization.

Need more info on specifically how your network is laid out.

Ethereal is a good packet sniffing application and it is free.

Reply to
Newbie72

In article , Newbie72 wrote, without quoting any context:

It happens that we can answer that based on the information given by the OP [but which you omitted in your non-quoting]. The OP indicated that the equipment involved as cat 2950 and 3500. The cat2950 does not support ISL, so the VLANs [at least the ones between the 2950s and anything else] must be 802.1Q.

The OP did not actually indicate 3550 or one of the closely related devices. The OP indicated 3500. That might have been an eliding of the fuller model number, but it might also be an indication of the cat3500-xl series, which was very different than the 3550 and kith.

Though as switches are involved, there arise matters of the point at which one introduces the sniffing. In order to be able to sniff the traffic that is being switched directly between ports, one would have to use RSPAN on the 2950. Based on the phrasing of the OP's questions, I suspect that the OP does not have experience in configuring RSPAN.

The OP indicated that the switches are mostly connected via fibre. Several of the cat2950 models feature gigabit uplinks. If the OP would have to RSPAN one of the 1000Base-SX uplinks in order to trace intra-switch traffic on a sniffer, then the OP would also need experience in optimizing a host computer for optimal Ethereal (libpcap) capture -- especially as the traffic load might be quite heavy as the OP would likely have to RSPAN the gigabit link over to a 100 megabit link.

Thus, I would suggest that likely a better approach for the OP would be to start by examining the interface traffic counts and perhaps trend them via MRTG or equivilent, and to delay consideration of sniffing until patterns have emerged. For example, by using SNMP one can monitor the MAC addresses that are active on links, and then through a variety of methods correlate the MAC addresses with IP addresses, in order to determine which devices are plausibly talking to which.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Here's the config of my main 2950, I'm going to connect via fibber the new 2950, I'll try to get an approach to the web interface, I have never used SNMP so ... are there any analizers that help with it ? Thnk!

Building configuration...munity private RW

Current configuration : 4028 bytes ! version 12.1 no service pad service timestamps debug uptime service timestamps log uptime no service password-encryption ! hostname DE2007-SW.B.01 ! enable secret 5 $1$eLeO$3ikLTpWZKrQFKgrIFWkkJ/

! clock summer-time UTC recurring last Sun Mar 1:00 last Sun Oct 2:00

errdisable recovery cause link-flap errdisable recovery interval 60 mls qos map cos-dscp 0 8 16 26 32 46 46 56

ip subnet-zero ! udld aggressive

! spanning-tree m no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission

spanning-tree extend system-id ! ! macro global description cisco-global | cisco-global | cisco-global | cisco-glob

al ! ! interface FastEthernet0/1 switchport mode trunk switchport nonegotiate auto qos voip trust macro description cisco-switch | cisco-switch

spanning-tree link-type point-to-point

! interface FastEthernet0/2 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/3 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/4 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/5 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/6 switchport access vlan 6 ! interface FastEthernet0/7 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/8 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/9 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/10 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/11 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/12 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/13 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/14 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/15 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/16 switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-6 switchport mode trunk ! interface FastEthernet0/17 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/18 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/19 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/20 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/21 switchport access vlan 2 ! interface FastEthernet0/22 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/23 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/24 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/25 ! interface FastEthernet0/26 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/27 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/28 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/29 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/30 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/31 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/32 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/33 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/34 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/35 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/36 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/37 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/38 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/39 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/40 switchport access vlan 6 ! interface FastEthernet0/41 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/42 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/43 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/44 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/45 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/46 switchport access vlan 4 ! interface FastEthernet0/47 switchport access vlan 3 ! interface FastEthernet0/48 ! interface GigabitEthernet0/1 switchport mode trunk switchport nonegotiate auto qos voip trust macro description cisco-switch | cisco-switch

spanning-tree link-type point-to-point

! interface GigabitEthernet0/2 switchport mode trunk switchport nonegotiate auto qos voip trust macro description cisco-switch | cisco-switch

spanning-tree link-type point-to-point ! interface Vlan1 ip address 192.168.200.3 255.255.255.0 no ip route-cache ! ip http server snmp-server community public RO snmp-server location Edificio B snmp-server contact Samuel Cabrero ! line con 0 exec-timeout 0 0 line vty 0 4 password pilila login line vty 5 15 password pilila login ! ! end

Reply to
Sako

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.