Switch errors in Kiwi CatTools

I've just started using Kiwi CatTools to monitor our switches. When viewing the built in Error report for our 3750 & 3550s there are a lot of columns of which I'm unsure of the meaning i.e. Watchdog, Align errors, Output buffer failures, etc. Is there anywhere on Cisco's site that lists what exactly these errors refer to so I can start to troubleshoot them?

TIA, Jase

Reply to
Jason
Loading thread data ...

Quite possibly, or maybe not.

Have you tried a search on the terms that you have mentioned?

Please describe as far as is possible where you have reached in your troubleshooting so far.

Align errors may be due to duplex missmatches. An align error is recorded when an ethernet receiver records an incomplete received byte. That is:- the frame did not comprise a exact multiple of 8 bit bytes. This can occur on a correctly functioning half duplex ethernet network but can never occur on a correctly functioning full duplex ethernet.

I have never seen "output buffer failures". No idea about watchdogs. What show command displays the watchdogs?

In general you should post as much information as you have. For example the full output from the show commands that are concerning you.

Conserving information will result in fewer and less informed responses.

So, please post:- relevant - sh int ! or sh int - all of them sh buff sh mem sh proc cpu sh ver

Also, please highlight the items that particularly concern you.

Reply to
bod43

3560 / 3750s dont have much outbound buffer memory, and it is in a dynamic pool so it can be allocated to ports on an "as needed" basis.

- so you may have a burst of packets you cannot buffer.

No idea about

try the commands in the "show mls qos" tree and see if you can find corresponding stuff - there are a lot there that show low level errors.

also there are commands to get down to the stats in the actual chipset which may have this kind of detail.

Reply to
Stephen

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. Never needed to do that kind of think on those platforms. Not had a heavily loaded one.

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.