Stupid question regarding ASA with SSM module

Hello,

I hope this isn't too stupid a question, but I'm a bit rusty on Cisco gear (10 years since I last touched it) and we just got a spanking new ASA 5520 with SSM-10 module...

What is the ethernet port in the SSM module for? What is it's factory default IP address?

I was under the impression that communication between the ASA and the SSM happens internally, including management through ASDM. Meaning there's no need for another network link up. But, when trying to admin it by choosing IPS in ASDM (*) I get asked to connect to another IP address (is that the factory set one?) but that connection fails, as it's in a totally different class.

Nothing in the docs seems to tell me what the port is for.

(*) Yes, I probably should be using PIX IOS, but as I said I'm so rust, I would likely manage to shoot myself in the foot badly. I'll get back into IOS when I've got the basic setup working.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
mike_hoffman2000
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.