STP

Lets say I have 3 switches, 2 cisco switches that support STP or RSTP, and a non managed older linksys switch. Can I run an instance of STP and generally speaking not worry about any compatability with the third switch? The BPDU frames should be forwarded from the third linksys switch, with any problems right? Thanks for the help!

Cliff

Reply to
Cliff
Loading thread data ...

Cliff,

Even if you have completely "dumb" switch or hub, which does not understand STP at all, your Cisco switches will take care about loopfree LAN. It's enough to break only one link in the loop to break the loop. Also, if one switch does not understand RSTP, and works with STP only, your Cisco switch will be aware on this, and will communicate trough a regular STP protocol with that particular switch while using RSTP for all Rapid-capable switches. The only thing you should check - who is a "RSTP Root" for each VLAN.

Good luck,

Mike CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc. CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)

------ Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
headsetadapter.com

Phoneswww.ciscoheadsetadapter.comwww.headsetadapter.com

Thanks!

Reply to
Cliff

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.