Setting u a Rouer - help needed.

I am training for my CCNA, and have got a bit stuck on something regarding VLANs. I have a 2950 switch, and want to setup up a dot1q trunk to connect a Router on a stick to enable inter-VLAN communication. I am getting stuck setting up my Router, an 803. I think i have the theory right; set up subinterfaces on the switchport and on the router e0, then assign ip addresses to each sub i/f from each vlan on the router, populate the routing table using RIp and away you go. (is that right?) I just cant seem to set up the 803. (As far as I am aware, I should be able to do this on an 803.) Can anyone explain or point me to somewhere that might be able to help? TIA.

Reply to
rob
Loading thread data ...

The hardware on the 803 will not support trunking. You will need to use a 17XX,26XX, or higher.

Your typical router trunk configuration will look something like this:

interface fa0/0 encapsulation dot1q 1 native

interface fa0/0.1 encapsulation dot1q 5 ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

interface fa0/0.2 encapsulation dot1q 10 ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

Your switch configuration will have the 'switchport trunk encap dot1q' command configured on the port that connects the router.

If you don't have another router but want to test trunking - I would suggest taking a pc and setting it up to do trunking. There are several ethernet adapters that have newer drivers available that will allow you to configure .1q. The driver will create multiple 'virtual' adapters in windows that you then configure individually.

The same thing goes with Linux - you can simulate MANY things a Cisco router can do on the network. This is especially usefull for a lab on a limited budget...

--------------------- Scott

formatting link
Home of the Network Engineering Podcast

rob wrote:

Reply to
spilkinton

To be more specific, trunking can only be enabled (there are rare exceptions) on links that are at least 100Mb. The 803 only has a 10Mb ethernet interface.

Reply to
Brad

thanks for that guys, ive got a 1720 so i'll give that a bash.

Reply to
jedimaster rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.