Routing question

I'm looking at different ways of putting in a new subnet to one of our buildings getting ready for it's move to our new MPLS network. It's currently residing on a massive switched network controlled by a couple of MSFCs. This is part of the project of dismantling that network. One method I'm looking at is installing the 3550 that they're going to get anyway and using that to handle the new subnet locally but still be able to route to the existing VLAN devices in the building. The way I was thinking of doing it, having looked at other routing devices on our network, was:

1) Drop the 5500s in the building to VTP mode transparent. 2) Create a new VLAN 500 on each 5500. 3) Install a 3550 and connect it to the 5500 that has the lines out of the building. 4) Create a sub-interface F0/n.1 with a VLAN 1 address for the corporate management VLAN and include 'encapsulation dot1q 1'. 5) Create another sub-interface F0/n.500 with a gateway address for the new VLAN and include 'encapsulation dot1q 500'. 6) Enable EIGRP on the 3550 and distribute connected.

In theory, the VLAN1 address would see the MSFC and share routing tables, picking up the existing corporate VLANs in the building and allow the MSFC to see the local building VLANs... I think...

Could it really be that simple? Am I missing something? Another option would be to create the VLAN on the MSFC but I don't want to go down that road.

Reply to
the_Muttster
Loading thread data ...

I think you will find you have to create the VLANs on the MSFC.

Also if the 3550 is single-homed see if the 3550 support the EIGRP stub feature; if so enable it.

router eigrp 1 network x.x.x.x eigrp stub connected static

Reply to
Merv

Unfortunately, the 3550 doesn't support EIGRP stubs. It will be single-homed for now, but in a few weeks, the new 1Gb line back to the MPLS network is installed and it will be dual-homed. I've configured a proof-of-concept to show that it can work, it's pretty much text-book inter-vlan routing using a remote router with a bit of a twist.

Whilst, yes, creating the VLAN globally on the MSFC and doing one switchover for the whole site is not a difficult job, it does rely on getting everything on the site moved to the same VLAN first which is not going to be simple. There are several large VLANs being heavily used at this site and others with major servers split between them.Not to mention 2 separate AD forests and a couple of hundred printers, all of which will be having their IP address changed. There are architects throwing 3GB CAD files around the network from here, 2,000 AD users all with roaming profiles and application management back to the NAS at this site so it is critical that the business continue unaffected. This method should allow desktop and server teams to migrate printers, PCs and then servers in their own time and allow those migrated users to instantly see a benefit when the new line comes in.

Reply to
the_Muttster

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.