Router 2821 Voice Bundle

Dear all,

Does anyone have any knowledge for Cisco Voice???

My company purchase: Cisco 2821 Voice Bundle, PVDM2-32,SP Serv,64F/

256D (CISCO2821-V/K9) and PVDM2 32-channel to 64-channel factory upgrade (PVDM2-32U64).

Is it related to channel that can support E1 link? If so, from the above product, how many E1 that can support on this router? How many call can this router handle concurrently?

Please help me to understand.

Thanks

Reply to
hhs
Loading thread data ...

The voice bundle is used to support VoIP. If the 2821 is being used as a gateway between VoIP phones and the PSTN, this configuration would be able to support 64 calls.

Reply to
Thrill5

You'd probably get a more concise response from the cisco-voip mailing list hosted over at puck.nether.net. There's alot more people there for Cisco VOIP than here.

The channels aren't related to anything with E1. I don't see anything in the hardware you list that specificly does anything with E1. It has to do with number of DSP channels this router has.

The Cisco DSP calculator is your friend. First, sign up for a free Cisco CCO account.

Then

formatting link
You'll have to work forward with what options you want to support to end up with a final number of what you need to have (ie. to match your

64 DSP channels available).
Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Doug McIntyre,

It's seem that the tool is not for free account. I register as a guest and try that, it's said "Forbidden File or Application".

Actually, i want to know that because later my company will need to add more E1 link so i wonder this router can support or not.

I can't access the tool, i have no idea how it look like and what information it will give me. But from the product that i list above, does it tell something about how many call can this router handle concurrently?

Thanks

Reply to
hhs

The same information is available in the documentation.

Thrill5 is almost always exact.

Cisco would not offer a 32-64 upgrade if it did not work.

I am not going to research it however as long as the RAM is the amount recommended for the image I would be atonished if you were not good to go for 64 voice channels. In "E" land (as opposed to "T" land) that would be sufficient for 2 * E1 with some spare since an E1 can carry up to 30 voice channels.

Reply to
bod43

Does it mean that if in the future, my company need to add more E1 than we need to upgrade PVDM2? For example like this R2821 has 4 slot that support E1 voice interface. If i want to use all the 8E1, is it possible? And how many PVDM2 do i need to upgrade?

Many thanks,

Reply to
hhs

Thats odd, I thought I had remembered it was accessible from the free level.

Well, at the basic level, each G.711 chnanel on your E1s would require one channel of a DSP chip. Transcoding to a low-complexity CODEC is again another one to one. Transcoding to a high-complexity CODEC (ie. G.729(b)) would be be two to one.

It all depends mostly on what are doing. Especially more so for transcoding and conferencing.. Terminating a voice channel is relatively easy.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.