Routed interface redundancy

Hello!

I have searched the forums and have found nothing for this situation. I have a single Cisco 3640 router, a pair of Cisco switches and a pair of firewalls. The firewalls are on a switch each and are running vrrp. The switches are connected to my distribution layer. The problem I am having is with the router configuration. I am trying to get the most fault tolerant setup possible out of my current hardware. Is it possible to have 2 ethernet interfaces act as one in the same? I looked at Integrated and Concurrent routing a bridging and that seemed to do the trick. Unfortunately, when I pulled one of the ethernet ports to test the setup, the BVI interface went down. What am I missing?

Thanks, Bill

bridge irb bridge 1 protocol ieee bridge 1 route ip bridge 1 bridge ip ! interface FastEthernet3/0 description Primary Internet Connection 1 no ip address duplex auto speed auto bridge-group 1 ! interface FastEthernet3/1 description Primary Internet Connection 2 no ip address duplex auto speed auto bridge-group 1 ! interface bvi 1 description Primary Internet mac-address 0204.0600.02E3 ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ip access-group 105 out no ip redirects no ip proxy-arp ip accounting access-violations

Reply to
billmoritz
Loading thread data ...

What are the make and model of the distribution switches, what OSes and how are they interconected?

Reply to
Merv

also can you repeat the test and post the logging buffer

sh ip int brief

sh int

sh bridge

sh spanning

conf t logging buffer 10000 debugging no logging console exit wri mem

! pull one of the Ethernet cables

sh ip int brief

sh int

sh bridge

sh spanning

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.