QoS for layer2?

I have two servers on my 6509 Native-IOS switch that transfer a lot of data to each other, and when they do, it hampers performance on the users connected to one of the boxes.

Both are on 100Mb links. They are DEC Alpha boxes (not that is matters). Both servers are on the same VLAN. Both on the same IP network. No routing between them.

Since they don't go up to layer 3, am I correct that I can't implement any queueing or QoS mechanisms between those two boxes? Is there another way to do it?

Though I've never had to do it, I could implement rate-limiting at the switch level correct? However, doesn't that give a hard cut-off to the bandwidth to that switch port? Can I classify it at the IP level of those two servers?

What other options do I have? Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

Think about putting an additonal NIC in each server to use solely for the server to server transfers

Reply to
Merv

It would be much easier to do something at the switch level if possible. These are old Alpha boxes and old NIC's.

Reply to
Bob

Then I would start with reading the following Cisco doc

QoS Output Scheduling on Catalyst 6500/6000 Series Switches Running Cisco IOS System Software

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Thank you sir.

Reply to
Bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.