problem in Browsing vlan Subnet ?

hi, I am using a 6509 switcher version pls see bellow: Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) c6sup2_rp Software (c6sup2_rp-IS-M), Version 12.1(3a)E4, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Copyright (c) 1986-2000 by cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Sat 14-Oct-00 02:01 by eaarmas Image text-base: 0x30008980, data-base: 0x30EDA000

I have setup at least one WINS in vlan1 , all other vlans add a ip helper-address added to the wins IP address. I can use \\ in explorer address box to browse the PC I also can use net view \\ I also can use net view \domain: to list other group's pcs and servers. But I can not use network eighbour browsing them.

I think net vew, and net use both use wins if it is configured, but network neighbour browsing does not.

my clients all intalled tcp/ip and make netbios enabled with wins enabled, and install netbeui too. I have tried my kinds of os: win98/win2k/winxp. if I set my vlan2's pc's group as the name of vlan1's group(where my wins located in it too), it can be browsed and can browse other pc or server too(that is vlan 2 can visit vlan1 , vlan1 can visit vlan2).

I have tried to config it with ip forward-protocol udp but failed. ie. router (config)# ip forward-protocol udp router (config)# ip forward-protocol spanning-tree router (config)# ip forward-protocol turbo-flood but it can only sucess with ip forward-protocol spanning-tree and ip forward-protocol turbo-flood. does ip forward-protocol turbo-flood equal with ip forward-protocol udp? or someother reason?

my sh conf output is :

show conf Using 8664 out of 391160 bytes ! version 12.1 service timestamps debug uptime service timestamps log uptime service password-encryption ! hostname core6509 ! boot buffersize 522200 boot system flash sup-bootflash: enable password xxxxxx ! redundancy main-cpu auto-sync standard ip subnet-zero ip name-server 202.96.199.133 ! ! ! ! interface GigabitEthernet1/1 no ip address switchport switchport trunk encapsulation isl switchport mode trunk !

! interface Vlan1 ip address 10.1.1.254 255.255.255.0 ! interface Vlan2 ip address 10.1.2.254 255.255.255.0 ip helper-address 10.1.1.12 ip helper-address 10.1.1.4

ip classless ip forward-protocol spanning-tree ip forward-protocol turbo-flood ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.246 ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.10 130 no ip http server ! ! line con 0 logging synchronous transport input none line vty 0 4 password xxxxx login ! end

what is wrong with my configuration? thanks ahead.

Reply to
arniewang
Loading thread data ...

Need to see the router's configuration...

Reply to
Brad

make sure NetBeui is installed, it is required to browse using the network neighborhood. If you can browse using the UNC but not network neighborhood that is usually the problem.

Reply to
Brad
6590 is a L3 switcher , so I need not see router. I have NetBeui installed on server and clients.
Reply to
arniewang

WINS requires at least one PC/server in each subnet to be a master browser. Also must have the WINS server addresses configured. Many times if a PC/server becomes a master browser then is disconnected, the other PC's loose the ability to browse the network until another system is selected, I think when the client machine reboots it then searches for a master browser so may need to reboot ?

Been a while since configuring WINS but we use to have many problems like that when PC's that somehow were selected as a subnet master browser was disconnected or shutdown.

The helper IP is usually for Bootp/DHCP, not WINS.

If not using any of the 9x or ME, just 2000 and/or XP should be able to diabale netbeui and netbios over TCP/IP and use only DNS ?

I am doing that now but can not remember what the exact conifgs are and not at work to check at the moment, sorry can't help anymore than that, If that is even close to the problem.

MC

Reply to
MC

it is said the other vlan should assign at least one PC/server into the wins located domain.

Reply to
arniewang

I have tried to config it with ip forward-protocol udp but failed. ie.

6509 (config)# ip forward-protocol udp 6509 (config)# ip forward-protocol spanning-tree 6509 (config)# ip forward-protocol turbo-flood but it can only sucess with ip forward-protocol spanning-tree and ip forward-protocol turbo-flood. does ip forward-protocol turbo-flood equal with ip forward-protocol udp? or someother reason?

I think maybe this is the key.

Reply to
arniewang

I have set wins and netbeui protocol on both server and PC. vlan 1's servers are in domain, other vlan's pc are in different workgroup. isthis the key?

Reply to
arniewang

I have tried interface Vlan1 ip directed-broadcast Vlan2 ip directed-broadcast but still no surccess.

I have write conf t ip forward-protocol udp netbios-dgm ip forward-protocol udp netbios-ss ip forward-protocol udp netbios-ns

I run wr mem sh run sh show it only give me ip forward-protocol udp netbios-ss line.

will u give me some advices?

Reply to
arniewang

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.