Pix Outside NAT

Hi,

I have a pix that connects to 2 internet links. I want to split different types traffic across the 2 links in each direction. Therefore BGP can take care of the inbound path for traffic on the routers. So for example i want inbound HTTP traffic on link 1 and email on link 2. The problem is because of my default route the outbound email always follows path 1.

I have been thinking of puting the 2nd link on a separate interface on the pix (curently both are reachable via the outside interface.) Then i could NAT the source Public IP address on the 2nd link (inbound direction) so that when my inside host replies it will reply to the NAT address and follow the path out the 2nd internet link (via the new interface on the pix).

My question is when the nat function nats back to the real Public IP will the pix then do a route look up and try to send it out via the default gateway, ie the outside interface and thus still give me the same result or will it route before NAT and then simply forward the packet out my new interface as i would hope. I am unsure of when exactly the routing happens with NAT.

Thank you for any comments.

Reply to
bitored2002
Loading thread data ...

NAT order of operation generally is as follows: From inside to outside, route first then NAT. From outside to inside, NAT first then route.

Reply to
Cen

On the topic of NAT, I think I am having a brain fart but can not think what I need to do for a NAT configuration I need.

I have a router at a remote site, both sides are using overlapping IP addressing in a private range. I do not want a dynamic NAT configuration using DNS on the router but want to static define all NAT addresses on each side. Also I want to hide any traffic not having a static resource define from the source direction to overload behind a single NAT. One side configurd Inside and one Side configred outside. I can get the Inside to Outside traffic to overload behind a single IP but going from outside to Inside can not get to hide behind a single IP, Had to use a pool of IP's but really want to have that traffic behind a single IP also. Is this possible, I thought I had done it before but can not remember how if so, also would NAT work from an Inside to an Inside interfaces ?

Thanks, MC

Reply to
MC

Thanks Cen,

Does that mean if i have an outside int and a DMZ int both connecting to the internet i can force some return traffic back out the DMZ interface by nating? So that when the return traffic goes from in to dmz it will route to the natted ip's (ie a pool of addresses from the DMZ subnet) and then NAT and forward out teh DMZ int? I just want to ensure that after natt'ing it doesnt do another route lookup and forward out teh outside int (ie following the default route).

Thanks.

Cen wrote:

Reply to
bitored2002

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.