Pix content filtering

hi, am currently working at a company with a very low budget and am trying to implement a internet content filtering system, the company has a pix 506e. I was just wondering if anyone has come across a free solution?

thanks

Alex

Reply to
Alex
Loading thread data ...

The PIX 506e is restricted to PIX 6 (in particular, PIX 7 is not supported on it.) PIX 6 has very little in the way of built in content filtering; what it does have requires the (expensive) third party products WebSense or N2H2. I am not aware of any free or low-cost replacements for either of them.

In a low-budget situation with that particular model, you might be best off restricting outgoing connections to be permitted only from one particular system, and have that system run squid or other proxy software to do the filtering for you; the internal systems would have to be configured to get their content from the proxy system. This may cause problems with HTTPS connections.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Try dansguardian open source solution, you can put route-map for just port 80 and 443 with next-hop your dansguardian server. We have that implemented in my ISP, if you have any more questions please use my mail address.

Damir

Reply to
sircco

Not with a PIX 506E you cannot. The only kind of route-maps supported on a PIX 506E are for OSPF, and the ACLs for these limited route-maps only support IP level without any port specification.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

We use safesquid free edition, which serves our purpose. Easy installation, GUI interface for easy management, good filtering options and forum based support. If you require additional features, you may also opt for the commercial editions.

Download the free edition from

formatting link
registering on the forum at
formatting link
Cheers. Sean.

Reply to
rseans

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.