PcAnywhere on PIX (newbie question)

Hi,

I'm trying to PCAnywhere to one of our servers from outside the network. There is a translation set up on the PIX for the server to give it the following IP's;

Internal: 192.168.1.1 External: 66.9.37.161

The external IP address of our network is 66.9.37.160

(fake IP's)

From what I understand, PCAnywhere uses ports TCP 5631 and UDP 5632. So, initially I created a rule to open these ports from the external IP I address I was connecting from to any inside..which didn't work.

I then created a rule to allow from the external IP to the internal address of the server. Again, this didn't work.

In both cases, I couldn't telnet to these ports using i) the

66.9.37.161 address and then the 66.9.37.160 address.

Is there something obvious I'm going wrong?

Thanks Joe

Reply to
networkadmin99
Loading thread data ...

| |Hi, | |I'm trying to PCAnywhere to one of our servers from outside the |network. There is a translation set up on the PIX for the server to |give it the following IP's; | |Internal: 192.168.1.1 |External: 66.9.37.161 | |The external IP address of our network is 66.9.37.160 | |(fake IP's) | | | From what I understand, PCAnywhere uses ports TCP 5631 and UDP 5632. |So, initially I created a rule to open these ports from the external IP |I address I was connecting from to any inside..which didn't work. | |I then created a rule to allow from the external IP to the internal |address of the server. Again, this didn't work. | |In both cases, I couldn't telnet to these ports using i) the |66.9.37.161 address and then the 66.9.37.160 address. | |Is there something obvious I'm going wrong? | |Thanks |Joe

Show us your rules you created.

Thanks... Brian Bergin

I can be reached via e-mail at cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

NOTICE: Use of this information is contingent upon acceptance of Paragraph 17 of Terabyte's Terms and conditions located at

formatting link

Reply to
Brian Bergin

access-list outside_access_in line 20 permit tcp any eq 5631 host eq 5631 access-list outside_access_in line 21 permit udp any eq 5632 host eq 5632 access-group outside_access_in in interface outside

For testing, I've allowed from to be sure the problem isn't with the IP I'm trying from

Cheers mate Joe

Reply to
networkadmin99

You are telling it that the source and destination ports will both be

5623, I don't know anything about PCAnywhere but it is highly unusual for this to be the case for the vast majority of protocols, don't define a required port for the source.
Reply to
Paul Womar

This worked!!

Many thanks Paul

Joe

Reply to
networkadmin99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.