OSI encapsulation over IP network

Hi there.

Have two sites connected by 1700 series routers using ADSL for wan connection. Need to get OSI traffic from one site to the other site. Can anybody point me in the right direction to enable any OSI traffic to be encapsulated and broadcast ( effectively ) to the other site. Or, possibly setup two 1700 series routers ( ADSL WAN interface ) to just act as bridges to other sites thus extending the broadcast domain.

Many thanks

Pete

Pete Matthews MCSE BSc(Hons)

Reply to
pnm_uk
Loading thread data ...

If bridging is ok for you, then perhaps DLSW+ or remote source-route translational bridging (translate to token-ring at ingress then back to ethernet at egress) are suitable for your scenario. Have a look at

formatting link
For routed solution have a look at IS-IS - it's native for OSI/DECnet.

Cheers, iLya

Reply to
Charlie Root

formatting link

I am pretty certain that you can configure the OSI protocols and IP on the same interfaces and use say ISIS for dynamic routing.

I would try that first before looking at tunneling if I could.

It does look as if you can do CLNS over GRE. That would be my plan B if the MTU was not a problem?

You can also route IP and bridge everything else.

IIRC this looks like

int eth 1 ip address x.x.x.x bridge-group 1

int eth 2 ip address x.x.x.y bridge-group 1

formatting link
ISO-CLNS

Reply to
Bod43

the only problem is that next-hop is likely DSL provider, which will through away everything except appropriate IP traffic, so you'll have to do tunneling between sites and GRE tunnels can't be assigned to a bridge group. That's why you'd need either DLSW+ or remote source-route translational bridging if you want to bridge across IP cloud.

/iLya

Reply to
Charlie Root

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.