nonrouting switches

Hello,

I am looking at a list of CISCO routers and switches generated by a an inventory script. One of the categories is NonRoutingSwitches, which includes cat 35xx's. I am not sure about this "NonRoutingSwitches". Does this mean these are switches and therefor dont do routing, or that these are`switches that just dont happen to do routing? - meaning I suppose that there could be Cisco switches that do do routing.

Just to confuse me even futher a couple of cat 3750s have BGP AS numbers next to them. Whereas none of the routers in the list do..

TIA

Ton

Reply to
ton de w
Loading thread data ...

Some Cisco switches are strictly layer 2 switches and thus are not capable of routing.

There may be layer 3 capable of routing that are not configured to perform routing.

You would need to find out how the inventory script is decide to classify a switch as a "NonRoutingSwitches"

The 3750 is a layer 3 switch - translated it switches and routes ;-()

Reply to
Merv

Done that. The SysOIDs are checked against a list.

I have also discovered that there are some 65xx's running catos and some running ios. I thought that catos was for switches and ios for routers, and that

65xx's were switches. Do 65xx's really run ios and act as routers? I think I need to read some fine manuals. which URLs would be good?

TIA

Ton

Reply to
ton de w

6500 can run :
  1. CATOS only
  2. CATOS OS on the Supervisor module and IOS on MSFC which is a daughterboard for Supervisor - known as hybrid mode
  3. IOS only - known as native mode

for info on 6500 start with

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

The Cat3550 is capable of routing. All of the Cat35xx and Cat37xx are. Note though that the Cat2950 and related models are NOT able to route -- and note that the Cat2900XL is a much older switch not related to the Cat2950 line. To add to the confusion, there used to be a Cisco 3000 unrelated to the Cat35xx/Cat37xx series, and there is a still-alive Cisco 36x0 line of routers.

In a later branch, you said that the script compared OIDs to a list in order to determine routing capabilities. That is not really the right way to do it. There is an OID which returns a bitmapped number indicating the general capabilities of the device. It is in the RFC1213 MIB, and is usually called system.sysServices

formatting link
bit corresponding to the binary value for 4 is turned on then the device supports layer 3 services (i.e., routing.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.