inter-communication between modules in different slot.??

Hi,

I have a Catalyst6506 cisco switch and two 10GB modules installed in the slot 1 and slot 2 in the switch. Each 10GB module has 4 ports. If I want to commnication between one port in on module to another port in another moudle, how do I make this kind of communication work without linking two modules with cables? Is there a way to do this with setup/configuration? I configure the ports on both module as switch port (layer 2).

Thanks in advance!

Frank

Reply to
fzhu007
Loading thread data ...

In article , wrote: :I have a Catalyst6506 cisco switch and two 10GB modules installed in :the slot 1 and slot 2 in the switch. Each 10GB module has 4 ports. If I :want to commnication between one port in on module to : another port in another moudle, how do I make this kind of :communication work without linking two modules with cables?

It should happen automatically if the two are members of the same VLAN or if the two ports are configured for routing.

:Is there a way to do this with setup/configuration? I configure :the ports on both module as switch port (layer 2).

It sounds to me as if what you want to do is configure them to be part of the same bridge-group .

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Actually, they both belong to default vlan id 1, but they couldn't communicate each other.

Reply to
fzhu007

In article , wrote: :Actually, they both belong to default vlan id 1, but they couldn't :communicate each other.

You should quote for context.

Two layer 2 ports that are part of the same vlan will not communicate with each other unless they are part of the same bridge group.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Yes they will; provided that the vlan exists in the switch. Depending on the IOS version, one might need to enter the "vlan database" mode, or simply config mode to create the vlan.

Reply to
Francois Labreque

I read about this the other day. CCNP looms:(

The use of bridge groups may result in software switching and is discouraged on catalyst "switches". BTW There is something called fallback bridging.

On the 6500 ports can either be routed ports or "switchports". IIRC on the 6500 the default is routed AND shutdown.

You will need to issue the commands "switchport", "switchport mode access" and "no shut", I would guess, on each interface. Unless you want trunks in which case miss out the "switchport mode access" bit.

Think I will pass my CCNP switching bit?

Q: What's the difference between a switch and a router. A: One is stamped "Catalyst", the other isn't.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.