Network Simulators

Finally, after two weeks of playing with my simulator and trying to get encapsulated vlans to talk, I determined that the Boson NetSim does not route traffic between vlans using dot1q correctly.

I am wondering what everyone is using for network simulators that you can design a layout of a network and manage all the devices to work on commands, routes, access-lists, etc.

Thanks. Bryan

Reply to
Boxxa
Loading thread data ...

Real hardware. Or, now

formatting link
also supports the 3600/3700/2691 emulated hardware) with NM switch module.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Try Packet Tracer 4 from CISCO. I just installed it and tried the same netsim config I posted earlier. It worked like a charm.

Reply to
Drake

I know it's not what you want to hear, but there's nothing like the real thing....pretty much all simulators I've come across have errors and can confuse the hell out of you..and Boson is probably the worst for it.

If you're looking at CCNA level, then Routersim

formatting link
is pretty good and will teach you what you need to know (ACL's, VLAN's, NAT/PAT etc)., along with a user-friendly interface. For CCNP and above/similar, then I'd highly recommend buying your own kit, most stuff is fairly cheap on ebay, although you may not be allowed to upgrade the IOS image.

Hope this help.

Reply to
smokejo

"Or, now

formatting link
also supports the 3600/3700/2691 emulated hardware) with NM switch module. "

I have had a bit of a look at the one Doug mentined and it is pretty nice. It runs real code and in my experience operated correctly. I have done a bit of frame relay and ospf on it. It needs a bit of general computer experience to get going and so may not be suitable for everyone but I am REALLY impressed so far.

It does need a lot of memory so I suggest trying the 3600 version first and don't go too crazy with the IOS, try to save memory.

It needs real IOS image.

One of the neatest things is that you can run the simulated routers on as many computers as you have and it all behaves perfectly. i.e. If one PC runs out of resources and you need more routers you can add more on different PCs just as easily as you add them to the first one. One router is simulated on one PC. This is because the simulator architecture is such that it uses IP to communicate between the simulated routers even on the local PC and so it is trivial and almost invisible to the user to move indivual simulated routers to a different host.

BTW someone said that it did 1000pps (or was it 100?) so don't bother to think about using it in production.

Reply to
Bod43

AMAZING program. Works great and functions like the real thing better than any simulator I have seen.

Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Boxxa

Folks, I have been unable to locate a copy of PT4 on Cisco's site.

Any suggestions on where I can look?

Reply to
egas

You need to be registered in cisco academy or just find it online.

Reply to
Boxxa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.